“Just so drunk was George Royal that he staggered against Robert Foster, a youth from Carey’s Run, Saturday afternoon and then seized the lad by the throat and began choking him. Officer Harry Dunham happened along and picked up Royal and took him to the city jail.”1
George Royal’s World War I Draft Registration Card2
The Scioto County Marriage LIcense of George Royal and Martha Snyder3
“George Royal, of South Portsmouth, was removed to the Veterans’ hospital at Dayton Tuesday by the JR Morton ambulance, of Fullerton.”4
George Royal in the Registers of Veterans at the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers5
The Obituary for George Royal in the Portsmouth Times
“George Royal, 33, 1001 Mill street, World War veteran died about 1 AM Sunday in the veterans’ home in Dayton. He was gassed during the war and had been in ill health since that time. He is survived by the widow, Mrs. Martha Royal and one brother John Royal of South Portsmouth, Kentucky. Funeral service will be held in the home at 2 PM Wednesday. Interment will be made in the Mt. Zion cemetery near South Portsmouth.”6
Ohio Certificate of Death for George Royal7
Funeral Services Announcement
“Funeral services for the late George Royal who died at Dayton in the US hospital at Dayton was held from the Christian church conducted by Reverend Thomas, pastor.”8
The Headstone of George Royal at Mt. Zion Cemetery in Greenup County, Kentucky
- Drunk Arrested. (1917, April 28). Portsmouth Daily Times, p. 3.
- “United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9YTS-9FB5?cc=1968530&wc=9FWC-6TL%3A928311601%2C928317301 : 23 August 2019), Kentucky > Lewis County; A-Z > image 2435 of 3070; citing NARA microfilm publication M1509 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
- “Ohio, County Marriages, 1789-2016,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L9S5-59CN-B?cc=1614804 : 28 November 2018), > image 1 of 1; county courthouses, Ohio.
- (1930, April 10). Portsmouth Times, p. 17.
- “United States National Homes for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, 1866-1938,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GP8G-NZG?cc=1916230&wc=M6N8-D38%3A203119301%2C203334601 : 22 May 2014), Dayton, Ohio > Register no. 51000-52495 > image 723 of 790; citing NARA microfilm publication T1749 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
- George Royal. (1930, June 2). Portsmouth Times, p. 11.
- “Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953,” database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6WJ7-311?cc=1307272&wc=MD9X-YP8%3A287601401%2C294555701 : 21 May 2014), 1930 > 36201-39400 > image 2173 of 3462.
- (1930, June 5). Portsmouth Times, p. 12.